Victoria, the place to be for adventure hiking, great cafes and remote bush camping. Also the place we call home. Victoria is diverse in its offerings; from enchanting coastal towns to dramatic national parks, there’s something for everyone in VIC.
Snowy Mountains NP
- Approx 5hrs east of Melbourne the Snowy Mountains region is a must visit for bush camping enthusiasts.
- Be ready to commit to a lengthy (approx 1.5hr) winding drive in – but don’t let it deter you! The snowy mountains are breathtaking!
- If you have a 4X4 vehicle the Little River Junction Camp was a favorite spot of ours, it’s very quiet with cliff-side views of the snowy river.
- Beware of hungry goannas and ants! Don’t leave any food lying around!
- Ensure you are self-sufficient – only facilities are drop toilets, fire pits and river water.
- It gets very cold at night – even in summer. Check the warnings if you are thinking of having a fire.
Mt. Beauty and surrounds
- Approx 5hr drive north east of Melbourne.
- Fantastic camp ground on the river in Tawonga South.
- Take a ring or raft and float down the river right outside your campsite in summer!
- Mt. Beauty is about a 60min drive from Mt. Buffalo NP where you can take a short walk to the Buffalo summit and swim in the Rollasons waterfall.
- Beautiful tree lined towns- Mt. Beauty & Bright.
- Bike hire, skiing in winter.
Wilsons promontory NP
- An absolutely beautiful spot at the southernmost tip of mainland Australia!
- Super popular so make sure you book, ballots are required during peak seasons.
- Think: walks through bush to beautiful beaches and coves, hikes to mountain tops with 360 degree views of national park.
- Mt. Oberon summit hike is a must!
- From 2hrs to 2 days there are walks for everyone!
- Amazing beaches to swim and surf.